About Me

My photo
Runner. Nerd. Relentless reader and documentary watcher. Beer, vodka, and wine lover. Marathoner. Studier. Music Snob. Traveler. Chocolate lab owner.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Marathon Training: Day 1!


See, I told you! When I leave my house and head downtown, the first thing I see as I come under the bridge is a White Castle in front of the Arch. It seemed fitting for day one.

Honestly, I don't have a lot to say. I went for an easy 6 today, and it felt pretty good. A little bit of pain from breaking in my new Super Feet, and my knee hurt like hell, but the first is to be expected and I'm used to the latter.

I am only a little nervous going in to marathon training. I don't remember where I saw this quote, but I loved it: the best journeys ask questions that in the beginning you didn't even think to ask. That's how I anticipate marathon training to be. The question isn't, "can I run a marathon?" because I know the answer is yes. My body doesn't know it yet, and the sane, rational side of me may not believe it yet, but I KNOW that I'll make it through the training and be able to do it. What I don't know is what questions I'm going to ask in the process. Running is a solo sport. You can run with a friend, or with a group, but your only opponent is you, and your strategies are 99% mental. Your movements are repetitive, but your thoughts aren't. So while my feet carry me hundreds of miles towards 26.2, I'm excited about where my mind will journey in the process.

Here's the plan for the week:
Monday: easy 6
Tuesday: XT
Wednesday: 5 mile tempo
Thursday: easy 5
Friday: Rest
Saturday: steady 10
Sunday: XT

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Saturday I'll post a mile-by-mile view of my 10 mile run. You'll be amazed, I'm sure ;-)

    ReplyDelete